The tunnel we used is the engineer Thomas Telfords tunnel built in three years, completed in 1827. An earlier tunnel which took 11 years to complete was built by James Brindley in 1777 but eventually closed in 1914 because of mining subsidence. These tunnels are 1 and 3/4 mile long, a fantastic feat of engineering for these pre victorian men.
|Brindley's defunct tunnel|
|Telfords tunnel, southern portal.|
|Light at the end of the tunnel.|
Once through the tunnel we descended 12 locks with a short stop at Red Bull for dumpages. It was great being back out in the countryside again on such a warm sunny day, we are now moored at Thurlwood.
|Lovely spring afternoon|