Stone had been a brewing town since 1780 when Francis Joules built his expansive premises beside the Trent & Mersey canal, a smart move as the canal provided the transport links to enable the brewery to prosper. With the link's into Liverpool docks Joules was able to sell his products to Europe, America and even Australia. Brewing in the town continued for nearly 200 years until Bass Charrington acquired the company in 1970, demolishing the brewery in 1974 (only the warehouse remains today alongside the canal).
|Joules warehouse now houses several light industry's|
|Andy, Sue, Gordon, Dot, Richard and Sharon|
|Roly, Vinney and Rob.|
Sunday we awoke to light rain which steadily became worse, we were pondering what to do with the day over tea and toast, until a bout of early morning texting between Diane, Dot and Sue sorted out an unexpected Sunday roast at Sutton Hall and a trip to the flicks to watch 'Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' in a Macclesfield.