Wednesday 1 August 2018

LLangollen canal.

It took us over four hours to do the fifteen Audlem  locks, lots of boats on the move. We moored for the night at Hack greens picnic benches.

Seemed a good idea stood in the Audlem butchers to plan a towpath bbq. 

We are in the middle of the best british summer since 1976, almost wall to wall blue sky for the last seven weeks, that is until I lit the charcoal. One stripe on a few bangers was all I managed before the heavens opened. Roly stood valiantly by me for a few seconds until the umbrella he was holding started catching rain in its upturned bowl instead of keeping the embers glowing.

A hasty retreat into FL to have things finished off under the grill.

The next morning the sun was back for a pleasant cruise to Nantwich to take on water, there we met  crew that used to read this blog which assisted in their decision to buy their own boat.



Hack Green bridge and locks




Looking back from Nantwich services
Bit of a mix up when I left the waterpoint I was handed a set of keys that were left in the elsan lock. Thinking they were NB Klara's I of course took them with me, a big mistake, they were NB Bodgers who was still moored at Nantwich, I was now a couple of miles away on the Llangollen. Roly  and I walked back along the towpath and met up with Graham & Moira at the halfway point to return them.

Entrance to the LLangollen canal

Looking back down Hurleston locks.
Today we have continued along the LLangollen canal to moor at Wrenbury, tea was had at the Cotton Arms.



Wrenbury church lift bridge
Wrenbury lift bridge.

No comments:

Sunshine and Ice

Stop planks at Aston lock. Canal is frozen solid with 3" thick ice.   During last weeks cold snap we had a little frost forming on the ...