Wednesday 18 November 2020

Ernies toolbox

My dad gave me his old Neslien engineers toolbox when I was an apprentice Ford mechanic at Crimbles of Staines.  I think it is at least 70 years old. It has been crying out for a little TLC for quite some time, and time is something I have an abundance of at the moment.

How it looked with the drawer handles removed.



The leather handle has a flat metal spring inside.

The grimey drawers.

 


The drawer handles needed a good polish.



A small box compared to my other tool box.

I was surprised that after being abused for  70 years none of the joints needed re-glueing. Basically, the box was sound,  I gave the wood a good sanding down, three coats of linseed oil and four coats of satin varnish.

The bottom rusty chrome insert got a coat of silver Hammerite.

A saddler made me a flat leather sprung handle - like the original.

New baize was fitted to the drawer bottoms to finish the job.


This is the only vehicle in the garage - for now.



No comments:

Sunshine and Ice

Stop planks at Aston lock. Canal is frozen solid with 3" thick ice.   During last weeks cold snap we had a little frost forming on the ...